Skip to main content

Learning and Posting

The past week has been a learning experience in multiple ways.
1) I learned how to utilize Buffer more efficiently
2) I learned more about hashtag marketing and how it can help me
3) I learned not everyone will like my graphics
4) I learned Pinterest is not for me or my Church

I have been using the app/website Buffer to schedule and multi-platform post things for some time now. This past week though, I decided to educate myself on its many features. Without making this blog seem like an ad for Buffer, let's just say I taught myself how to be more efficient in my postings and make my job easier.

Like most people, I understood hashtags on a basic level. I knew some people use way too many. What I learned was the value of hashtags to my Church. I have started using them in my posts to help increase engagement and reach. So far, the data speaks for itself. The reach of my posts has grown exponentially over the last week.

I just assumed (I know, I know....) if I spent my time on designing graphics, people would generally like and accept them. Boy was I wrong! This past week I spent countless hours perfecting the graphics for my posts and website. After initial successful responses, I thought it was a cake walk. Then I showed them to more people. Negative responses started flowing in; I was in a state of shock.  Luckily, I did get great feedback, so I was able to adjust/adapt. This was a great learning experience.

Finally, I learned I have no interest in being on Pinterest. I signed my Church up for an account early last week with the hopes of using for another avenue of social media marketing. Honestly, I could not figure out how it could help my Church beyond ideas for party's. I initially had issues posting things, as Buffer kept coming back with error messages (probably user error). Once I figured that out, I posted a few things. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't see its usefulness.

Until next time...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome!

Welcome to my first blog ever and to the start of my journey into Social Media Management.  I have recently been asked by my Church to take control of the various social media they have.  At the time, I was just starting to learn about the process.  I have always looked at social media as a way to express yourself on-line to a mass audience.  I had not thought about how this could work for a business or entity such as my Church.  As an entrepreneur, I see how this knowledge can help me in the future. So I have been on social media for quite some time personally.  I remember the MySpace days, heck, I used to chat with my wife on there before we were dating or married (No, I did not meet my wife on-line).  Mostly I used MySpace as a way to play games and talk to friends/colleagues.  Up until three months ago, I only used Facebook on a regular basis.  I had never seen the advantage of Twitter or Instagram. One day I had this bright idea of becoming this huge social media person on